THERE ARE OVER 30 MILITARY FORTIFICATIONS PRESENT IN LA MADDALENA EVIDENCE OF THE STRATEGIC INTEREST OF THE ISLANDS THROUGH DIVERSE PERIODS OF HISTORY DUE TO THEIR GEOGRAPHICAL POSITION
The first six forts were built towards the end of 1700 clearly with the intent of defending the island from attack by the French. In 1767 during the Sardinian-Piedmontese reign the archipelago was under military occupation in view of the passage of Corsica from Genoa to France. The forts belonging to this period are: La Torre quadrata, S. Vittorio, S. Andrea, S. Balbiano, S. Agostino and S. Elmo or S. Teresa. These strongholds are all clearly visible from the sea in as much as having functioned as a demonstration of the dominion of the Piedmontese reign and to discourage pirate attacks. At the beginning of the 1800s the defence system was completed with the construction of the fort Carlo Felice in La Maddalena and the San Giorgio fort on the island of Santo Stefano.
The political backdrop at the end of the 1800s with the threefold alliance between Austria Germany and the young Italian state bearing interest in La Maddalena culminated in the construction of a modern fortress in the archipelago. The forts which date back to this latter period were designed to be invisible from the sea in order to surprise enemy ships and include: Nido d’aquila, Punta Tegge, Peticchia, Guardia Vecchia, Punta Villa, Trinita, Arbuticci, Stagnali, Poggio Rasu, Punta Rossa, Colmi, Guardia del Turco, Puntiglione and other forts along the Sardinian coastline (Monte Altura, Capo d’Orso, Baraggi). Such fortifications were unused until 1943, by which time they were dated in terms of architecture and long obsolete as arms.
At the end of the First World War the military fortress was enhanced and modernised with the construction of new batteries in outlying areas to cope with technical progress within the field of military aviation. These are examples of anti-aircraft gun positions completely camouflaged amongst the rocks at: Carlotto, Zavagli, Zanotto, Pietrajaccio, Candeo, Messa del Cervo, Poggio Baccà, on the island of Porco, Teialone, punta dello Zucchero. A further three on the Sardinian coast: Punta Falcone, Monte Talmone and Cappellini.
All fortifications retrieved from google maps for you to “find in La Maddalena”. We recommend you visit at least one fort from each of the three historical periods. The fort visit could be combined with one the excursions recommended in ‘footpaths’ by contacting the authorised guides.